- 1 The Most Comfortable Office Chairs You’ll Ever Use
- 1.1 1. Herman Miller Embody Chair
- 1.2 2. Herman Miller Aeron Fully Loaded Chairs with HEADREST
- 1.3 3. CXO Executive Mid Back Ergonomic Office Chair
- 1.4 4. Steelcase Leap Chair
- 1.5 5. Steelcase Gesture Chair
- 1.6 6. AKRacing Racing Style Desk Office Gaming Chair
- 1.7 7. OFM Big Leather Executive Office Chair
- 1.8 8. Boss Office Products Big Man’s Chair
- 1.9 9. Brylanehome Extra Wide Women’s Office Chair
- 1.10 10. High Back Black Mesh Executive Swivel Office Chair
- 1.11 11. VIVA OFFICE High Back Bonded Leather Executive Chair
- 1.12 12. Flash Furniture HERCULES Series
- 1.13 13. HON Ignition Series Mid-Back Work Chair
- 1.14 14. HON Nucleus Knit Mesh Back Task Chair
- 2 Ergonomic Office Chair Buying Guide
- 3 Why do Short / Tall People Need a Different Office Chair?
- 4 Tips for Ergonomic & Comfortable Sitting
- 5 Comfy Office Chairs: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- 6 Most Comfortable Office Chairs Comparison Chart
- 7 Conclusion
When you’re spending up to 7 or 8 hours in front of an office desk for 5 days a week, it is important to have a comfy office chair. Not only will a comfortable chair ensure that you can sit pleasantly for the duration of your working day, but it can also have other advantages such as making you feel happier and lowering back pain.
Are you looking for the right office chair for your office? If you are, you should consider the features that the chair offers to ensure that you will be comfortable in the chair all day. These office chair reviews will guide you to find the best ergonomic office chair for your needs.
Because everybody’s dimensions are different, it is likely that the chair that will suit your needs will not see the needs of one of your colleagues. For this reason, you should check out our reviews to help you find the
Because everybody’s dimensions are different, it is likely that the chair that will suit your needs will not see the needs of one of your colleagues. For this reason, you should check out our reviews to help you find the most comfortable office chair for you.
The Most Comfortable Office Chairs You’ll Ever Use
- HERMAN MILLER EMBODY CHAIR
- PRICE $$$$$
- Color : Carbon Balance
- Material : Fabric
- Dimension : 28 x 28 x 24.5 inches
- Weight : 52 pounds
- Weight Capacity : 300 lbs
- Herman Miller Aeron Fully Loaded Chairs with HEADREST
- PRICE $$$$
- Color : Graphite
- Material : Plastic
- Dimension : 27 x 41 x 16.75 inches
- Weight : 55 pounds
- Weight Capacity : up to 250 lbs
- CXO Executive Mid Back Chair in Black w Headrest
- PRICE $$$$$
- Color : Burgundy
- Material : Aluminum
- Dimension : 29.5 x 29.5 x 55 inches
- Weight : 79 lbs
- Weight Capacity : up to 250 lbs
- Steelcase Leap Chair
- PRICE $$$$
- Color : Black
- Material : Fabric
- Dimension : 24.8 x 27 x 43.2 inches
- Weight : 45.8 pounds
- Weight Capacity : 300 lbs
- STEELCASE GESTURE CHAIR
- PRICE $$$$$
- Color : Blue Jay
- Material : Fabric
- Dimension : 23.6 x 29 x 44.5 inches
- Weight : 76 pounds
- Weight Capacity : 300 lbs
- AKRacing Racing Style Desk Office Gaming Chair
- PRICE $$$
- Color : Blue/Black
- Material : Steel, Synthetic Leather
- Dimension : 27 x 26 x 56 inches
- Weight : 48 pounds
- Weight Capacity : up to 330lbs
1. Herman Miller Embody ChairTo ensure that you maintain the best posture whilst promoting good blood flow, the Herman Miller Embody Chair features plenty of great design features.
The curves and lines of the chair ensure that your body is kept in the optimum position all the time. You’ll feel almost weightless whilst you use this chair, meaning that your stress levels can also stay as low as possible. Your lower heart rate will allow your brain to remain focused as you work.
You’ll find that you can maneuver around the office with ease in this chair, as it is so lightweight and easy to move. If you want to move from one area to another, you will be able to do so without even getting up. This more comfortable way of scooting around the office will allow you to continue working from the same comfortable position.
Tilt action is built into this chair so that you can find a comfortable position for you. Tilting in your chair ensures that your thighs and the muscles in your buttocks and back can share your body weight rather than all your weight bearing down in a straight line. You will be comfortable all day and you won’t ache or feel stiff when you go home at the end of the day.
Check out the full review of Herman Miller Embody Chair
2. Herman Miller Aeron Fully Loaded Chairs with HEADRESTThe high back and the headrest that comes with this Herman Miller Aeron Fully Loaded Chair and Ensure that your entire back, neck, and head will be supported whilst you sit in the chair. This can help to keep you comfortable for the whole day.
To give you the feeling of being weightless whilst you are sitting, this chair comes with a rear tilts lock and forward tilt function. You can also use the tension control so that you can use free tilt. Being tilted in your seat will ensure that you do not have too much pressure bearing down on your lower back. This will minimize back pain and help you to feel comfortable.
The five-point base that comes with this chair has high-quality casters attached. These casters are suitable for use on hardwood floors.
You do not have to worry about cushions that may become compressed over time, as this chair features high-quality mesh fabric stretched over the back and seat frame to create a comfortable surface. The fabric is breathable and will not make you feel too warm and uncomfortable over the warmer months.
When you purchase this comfortable office chair, you will receive a 10-year warranty. This warranty will ensure that you can get the most out of this piece of office equipment for at least 10 years.
Check out the full review of Herman Miller Aeron Fully Loaded Chair
3. CXO Executive Mid Back Ergonomic Office ChairThe CXO Executive Mid Back Chair has been designed to keep your back as comfortable as possible whilst you are seated. It is available in a range of different color options so that you can match it to your office décor.
The arms are adjustable and have a padding at the top, which is contoured. You can be sure that your arms will rest comfortably on the armrests as you work, taking the strain off your shoulders and upper arms.
To the back of the chair is plenty of generous padding to keep your back fully supported and in particular, pelvic and lumbar support helps to prevent pain from developing in your lower back. The seat is also well padded and contoured, offering a gentle slope to the front so that there is not any unnecessary pressure at the back of the knees.
The strong mesh upholstery that covers the padded seat and back is not only durable but it will ensure that air can flow freely through the cushions and around your body so that you don’t get too warm if the temperature is a little high.
Pneumatic lift allows you to alter the height of the chair with ease and you can also tilt the chair back to relieve the pressure from the lower spine if you wish.
4. Steelcase Leap ChairThe Steelcase Leap Chair has been designed to offer some unique ergonomic features to ensure that you can be as comfortable as possible whilst you are using the chair. The features have been designed with the user in mind and have been developed following research-based on user experience.
The backrest that comes with this chair is flexible and as a result, it molds to the shape of the user’s spine for total comfort. This is a high back chair that will provide support for the back and neck.
You can control the lower and the upper part of the backrest separately so that you can make the chair fit perfectly to your spine.
This offers the best possible support and customization.
A reclining feature gives you the ability to tilt the chair back as much as you need to and this will minimize the pressure on the lower spine.
You can choose whether or not to use a headrest with this chair, as it is an optional extra feature.
In order to further reduce the pressure on your spine, this chair has been designed so that the chair tilts your pelvis forwards when you move backwards.
5. Steelcase Gesture ChairWhen you’re looking for a great office chair, you know that you’re getting a well-researched product when you purchase this Steelcase Gesture chair. By performing a study that included 2000 users, the manufacturer was able to come up with an office chair that would be suitable for as many users as possible.
This chair will accommodate many different body shapes and sizes by using a variety of technologies. With many different posture possibilities, you will be able to adjust this chair so that it will fit your body perfectly.
The 3d live back feature is an especially useful technology for this office chair. The cushion at the back of the chair will automatically adjust to meet the natural movement of the user’s spine. This ensures that the back will be supported in any position, as well as keeping the arms and neck comfortable too.
A 360-degree arm allows you to move freely whilst sitting in the chair. Most people operate several different devices a day or work on a computer as well as using a pen to write. This requires different positions of the arms, so the 360-degree movement of the arms allows freedom of movement whilst you can remain as comfortable as possible.
Check out the full review of Steelcase Gesture chair
6. AKRacing Racing Style Desk Office Gaming ChairThis racing style desk office chair from AKRacing is not only comfortable, but it is also a chair that will really look the part in your office. With high-quality metal frame construction, you can be sure that this chair will be strong, long-lasting and safe.
You will be able to make adjustments to this chair thanks to the tilt, height adjustment, and the backrest adjustment levers. You can also adjust the position of the armrests to suit your height.
To take the pressure away from the base of your back, this chair has a 180-degree backrest adjustment. This not only allows you to add a slight recline to the chair, but you will be able to lean the chair back all the way if you wish to take a nap for example.
This ergonomic chair has been designed in a classic bucket style racing shape and this will hold you in an optimum position whilst you work.
The durable construction, ergonomic design and user adjustable features that come with this chair make it one of the best choices when you want to add a comfortable yet unique looking chair to your office.
- OFM Big Leather Executive Office Chair
- PRICE $$
- Color : Black
- Material : Leather
- Dimension : 35 x 28 x 17 inches
- Weight : 57 pounds
- Weight Capacity : 400 pound
- Boss Office Products Big Man's Chair
- PRICE $$
- Color : Black
- Material : Microfiber
- Dimension : 25 x 31.2 x 46 inches
- Weight : 89.7 pounds
- Weight Capacity : 350 lbs
- Brylanehome Extra Wide Woman's Office Chair
- PRICE $$
- Color : Ice
- Material : Bonded leather with matching PVC back
- Dimension : 46.5 x 29 x 29 inches
- Weight : 2.8 pounds
- Weight Capacity : 500 lbs
- High Back Black Mesh Executive Swivel Office Chair
- PRICE $
- Color : Black
- Material : Foam
- Dimension : 24 x 25.5 x 52.5 inches
- Weight : 33.7 pounds
- Weight Capacity : 250 lbs
- VIVA OFFICE High Back Bonded Leather Executive Chair
- PRICE $
- Color :Black
- Material : Synthetic Leather
- Dimension : 30.5 x 27.5 x 17.8 inches
- Weight : 56.9 pounds
- Weight Capacity : 250 pounds
- FLASH FURNITURE HERCULES SERIES
- PRICE $$
- Color :Black
- Material : Fabric
- Dimension : 28.5 x 31.5 x 47.5 inches
- Weight : 65 pounds
- Weight Capacity : 500 lbs
7. OFM Big Leather Executive Office ChairThis OFM Big Leather Executive Office Chair will offer you the heights of luxury and style. High quality bonded leather is used to upholster the chair and it is stitched and tufted to give an executive look in the office.
The seat is extra wide so that it can accommodate most user sizes. The padding of the heat is also 5 inches thick, giving a soft and comfortable experience for the user. The front of the seat has a waterfall design, maximizing comfort and blood flow to the legs.
You can enjoy upper body support with this chair as it features armrests. Although the armrests can’t be adjusted, you will be able to enjoy comfortable support whilst working as the arms of this chair are generously padded.
The 360-degree swivel feature ensures that you will be able to move around with ease when you are using this chair. It also offers a tile function to allow you to tilt the chair backwards. Tilting and locking the chair into position will ensure that there is less pressure on your lower spine and as a result, you will feel as comfortable as possible.
The extra wide seat and the 500lb weight capacity makes this chair suitable for larger users and is sure to last for many years.
8. Boss Office Products Big Man’s ChairThis office chair is designed to make you look like the boss. Whether you’re looking for an ergonomic chair to relieve your back problems or if you’re simply trying to find a comfortable office chair that is suited to your size, this may just be the chair you’re been searching for.
Padded armrest offer you comfort whilst you work with a great design to ensure that your entire forearm is supported.
You can also make use of the pneumatic controls including height adjustment and change the angle of the chair using the tilt feature.
Being able to tilt the chair is an important feature, as this will take the pressure off your lower spine. You will feel more comfortable as a result because your weight will be spread more evenly across your body.
A steel frame makes this chair rigid and strong and the rolling casters are suitable for most floor coverings.
With lumbar support and microfiber fabric covering, you can be sure that you will be comfortable when you are sitting in this chair all day. It also has generous measurements and a weight capacity of 350lb to make it suitable for the larger user.
9. Brylanehome Extra Wide Women’s Office Chair
For the larger woman who is looking for an ergonomic office chair, the Brylanehome Extra Wide Women’s Office Chair is a perfect choice. Designed to suit the posture and needs of women, this chair has been created for the larger lady. It is capable of supporting weights of up to 500 lb.
The soft cushioning that pads the seat and the backrest offers the user pillow soft comfort, whilst the high-quality metal frame gives the chair a robust feel.
Leg circulation is maintained thanks to the seat pad’s waterfall front design whilst the memory foam seat will not apply too much pressure to the backs of the legs.
The seat is covered with high-quality leather with PVC to the back. It is also available in ice or brown so that you can choose the best color to suit your needs.
A pneumatic height adjustment allows you to alter the height of the chair with ease. It also offers heavy-duty casters that are suitable for most floor surfaces.
The chrome finish on the arms and frame give an executive and stylish look that will get you noticed at the office.
This is a robust office chair that has been designed to last for many years.
10. High Back Black Mesh Executive Swivel Office ChairThis high back black mesh executive swivel office chair brings a contemporary look to your office environment.
With a high back design along with an adjustable headrest, you can be sure that your Battle will be fully supported whilst you work.
The backrest of this chair features lumbar support and is made from a breathable mesh material. This ensures that the chair is comfortable and cool at all times.
The armrests can flip up if you do not wish to use them. This convenient design ensures that you can choose whether you want to use the chair with arms or without.
To take the strain away from your lower back whilst you sit in this chair, it comes with a tilt lock feature. This feature allows the user to tilt the chair back so that they can sit at a more comfortable angle. Height adjustment allows you to alter the height of the chair with ease.
The base is made from a strong metal material so that it will be able to support your weight without difficulty and it features solid and robust casters to allow you to move freely around the office.
This is an affordable solution for anyone looking for an ergonomic and low-cost office chair.
11. VIVA OFFICE High Back Bonded Leather Executive ChairThis highly ergonomic office chair is the perfect choice if you’re looking for a comfortable executive chair for work. Thanks to the extra padding and high-quality upholstery, you can be sure that you’ll be as comfortable as possible when you use this chair.
The control mechanism to the back of the chair allows the user to control the back angle, the tilt, and lock of the backrest and the seat height. This simple to use control is accessible from a seated position to make adjusting the chair as easy as possible.
You can be sure that you won’t experience any blood flow issues when you are sitting in this chair as it has a waterfall seat design. The gentle curve at the front of the seat cushion ensures that the pressure is taken off the back of your legs.
In addition, you can make use of the adjustable armrests and the tilt tension control. It is also made of high-quality materials to ensure the longevity of the product. With a weight capacity of up to 250lb, this is a chair that will be suitable for most users.
The warranty offered with the product includes a part exchange for the first 2 years after purchase.
12. Flash Furniture HERCULES SeriesThis is a chair that is perfect for those who have a big and tall build. When you’re a little taller than average, you will find that you are uncomfortable when you’re seated in a standard office chair. With the ability to hold a user who weighs up to 500lb and a taller height seeing than most chairs, this is a great alternative.
It’s not only the height of the chair that offers generosity when it comes to dimensions. In addition, the seat pad itself is broader than standard office chairs and it also comes with a wider back. The high back design is also sure to offer maximum support to the user no matter how tall they may be.
Breathable mesh material that is used in the construction of this chair offers a comfortable user experience and the chair will not become too hot during warmer months.
You will be able to adjust the firmness of the backrest if you wish. A control knob to the back of the chair allows for easy customization of this feature. In addition, the seat pad is contoured and offers pressure points to ensure that you can be comfortable, even when you are seated for longer lengths of time.
To the front of the seat, the cushion slopes gently downwards, ensuring that you will not experience any problems with blood circulation in your legs.
Check out the full review of Flash Furniture HERCULES Series
13. HON Ignition Series Mid-Back Work ChairThis mid back chair from Hon is suitable for all day use and can provide you with plenty of comfort features to ensure that you do not develop aches or pains in your body.
The mesh that is used to construct the back offers high-quality support whilst feeling comfortable. As it is made from a mesh material, you can be sure that it is also breathable so the chair won’t get too warm whilst you use it.
The seat pad features generous amounts of padding and is upholstered in fabric. The whole chair is stain resistant so that you don’t have to worry about leaving your desk to eat if you’ve got a lot of work to finish. You can easily wipe the chair down if anything does get spilled on it.
The adjustable arms on this chair can be raised or lowered to suit your height and they can also be moved inwards and outwards too. They cannot, however, be moved forwards or backwards.
Thanks to the soft padding on the seat, the breathable and supportive mesh back and the various adjustments that you can make to this chair, you can be sure that you’ll be as comfortable as possible whilst you sit in this chair.
14. HON Nucleus Knit Mesh Back Task ChairThe HON Nucleus Knit Mesh Back Task Chair is a great choice when you’re looking for an affordable office chair. This model offers a lightweight and attractive option. Despite the fact that it is so light and that the price is so low, you can still expect a great quality product. The Nucleus knit mesh back chair is comfortable and offers substantial support whilst you are working at your desk.
The fabric used in the manufacture of this chair is Nano-Tex. This high-quality fabric is resistant to stains and dirt, keeping the chair looking clean and like new.
You can be sure that you’ll be as comfortable as possible whilst sitting on this chair as the back features over molded foam. Breathable fabric is stretched over the foam, further enhancing the chair’s comfort. The seat is fully upholstered allowing you to sit on it for the entirety of your working day.
The NRAM material that is used in the construction of this chair is high quality and hard wearing. In addition, the frame of this chair is made from tough steel, which is able to hold the weight of most users.
When you purchase this office chair, you can be sure that you’ll get exceptional quality as well as a chair that will look great in your work environment.
Ergonomic Office Chair Buying Guide
If you want to be as comfortable as possible when you are sitting at your desk all day, you should ensure that you choose an ergonomic office chair that is fully adjustable. The more adjustments that you can make to the chair, the better, as it will end up being the best possible fit for you so that you can feel comfortable.
5 Tips for Choosing a Comfortable Office Chair
– Tilt is an important adjustment to have when it comes to ergonomic office chairs. The ability to recline your chair will help you to feel more comfortable, as there will be less pressure at the base of your spine than if you sit upright. If you like to be able to lean forwards and backwards whilst you work, you can find chairs that come with tension control. This allows you to use a free tilt feature so that you can rock backwards and forwards as much as you need to so that you can reach your desk and computer.
– It is important that your arms and your thighs are parallel to each other as you work at your desk, and your knees should be at 90-degree angles. There shouldn’t be any pressure on the backs of the thighs or knees as this could cause poor blood circulation issues, which will be uncomfortable and can lead to pains in the legs. A chair with a pneumatic lift feature is a good solution to this so that you can adjust the height of the chair easily.
– The depth of the seat refers to the distance between the base of the backrest and the front of the seat. If the seat is much longer than your legs, you will find that you end up sitting forward in your seat and not resting against the back. This will make it completely pointless to have a backrest at all and the slouched forward position will not be comfortable for your back.
– You should be able to get close enough to your desk so that you can work whilst your arms are resting on the armrests. You should also be able to adjust the height and even the width of the armrests so that your arms can be in a comfortable position for you to work. When you are using the armrests, your shoulders should not be raised or hunched over.
– When you sit back in your office chair, you will be the most comfortable if there is a lumbar cushion to support your lower back. Look out for chairs that have adaptive cushions that form to your position or a chair that has an adjustable lumbar support cushion.
Another consideration that you need to make is the kind of material that the chair is upholstered with. Different people prefer different upholstery. You should try out some office chairs before you buy so that you have an idea of the best material for you. Some of the choices include a woven fabric, vinyl, real and faux leather and mesh.
Why do Short / Tall People Need a Different Office Chair?
Your height will play a big part when choosing the best office chair for your needs. Of course, if you could choose a chair that has height adjustments, but there are other factors that need to be considered.
If you are taller, then you will probably have longer legs. When you are sitting on the seat pad of the chair, you’ll need to ensure that the seat pad is long enough to support the length of your thigh. Similarly, if you are short, there must be a way of shortening their lengths of the seat pad so that you can sit comfortably.
Larger chairs are better for taller people as they usually have deeper seat pads. If you choose the chair that comes with an adjustable seat pad, then you will be able to also the length of the seat pan.
If you have an economic and adjustable office chair, you should sit on the seat and adjust the position of the seat pad so that you can sit with your thighs properly supported up to the back of your knee. If the seat pad finishes before the back of your knee, then you will find that your blood circulation will be affected. This will manifest as pins and needles. If the seat pad is too long, then you will have to sit forward on the seat and this will mean that your lower back will not be supported by the backrest.
Another consideration that you will need to take into account is the height of the backrest. If you are taller, you will need to be able to adjust the backrest so that your back will be properly supported. A chair that has an adjustable backrest will be ideal for this. If you can adjust the lumbar support and the headrest independently, then this will be better, although some chairs only allow the entire backrest to be moved up and down. People who are shorter need to have a backrest that will support the curves of their back properly. One good way to ensure this is to purchase an office chair with an adjustable height, but you could also choose a petite office chair that has been designed for those who are shorter.
If you are taller or shorter than average, it is possible that your arms may be longer or shorter. You should try sitting in different office chairs to find out which one will be the most comfortable for you. Your arms need to be bent at the elbow at 90-degree angles so it’s important that your chair allows you to do this whilst resting your arms comfortably on the rests. If your shoulders are raised up, then this will not be comfortable and will leave you with shoulder and back pain whilst not be able to rest your arms fully on the rests can result in pains in the wrists and forearms. Adjustable armrests are the solution to this problem. You should be able to alter the height of the arms on your chair. It is also a good idea to choose a chair that allows you to change the width of the armrests too if possible so that you can widen or reduce the width of the seat pan. This will ensure that the chair can accommodate your width as well as your height so that you can be as comfortable as possible with the armrests close to your sides.
Even if you can’t purchase an office chair that is the right size for you, there are still some things that you can do to make your chair more suited to your need. If the chair is too low, you could raise your height in the chair by using a firm cushion on the seat so that your eyes can be in line with your screen. If the chair is too high and your feet don’t touch the floor comfortably, you could use a footrest, which will take the pressure off the backs of your knees and improve your blood circulation. If you are unable to sit far enough back in the chair, you could use a cushion behind your lower back to support the lower spine.
The Difference Between Low-Back, Mid-Back and High-Back Chairs
When you buy an office chair, you will notice that it comes with either a low back, mid-back or high back. The height of the back of the chair will determine how much support your back will benefit from whilst you are using the chair.
Low-Back Office Chairs
These are often known as task chairs and they usually have a short backrest that only extends as high as the middle of your back. This rest will tilt forwards and backwards and only provides support to the lower part of the back, particularly and mainly in the lumbar region. They are only intended to be used for short amounts of time and allow the user to move freely. Whilst they are economical and suitable for some environments, they will not provide you with much comfort over longer working days.
Mid-back chairs have a backrest that extends as far as the middle of your back. Like low back chairs, they support the lumbar region well, but in addition, they also provide support to the middle of the spine too. The shoulder blades are often supported too, but the neck still moves freely and has no support.
Due to the higher back, additional padding and materials, high back chairs are the most expensive choice. They are best for those who will get maximum use from the chair so if you need to sit at your desk for the entire working day then this is probably the best kind of chair for you. High back chairs are certainly the most comfortable and they provide complete support for the whole back allowing the user to relax their neck too.
Tips for Ergonomic & Comfortable Sitting
Are You Sitting Comfortably?
Choosing an ergonomic chair can mean that you feel more comfortable and it can also lessen any back pains that you may currently experience. What it is important to note however is that not all office chairs are suitable for all users. The best ergonomic office chair for your needs and the one that will be the best for lowering your own back pain will depend on various factors.
If you already experience back pain, it is important to find out what causes back pain when you use an office chair.
– You should be able to sit far enough back in the seat so that your lower back meets the lumbar support and your knees are not being compressed at the back. If you have to lean forward in your seat because the seat pad is too deep, you will develop back pains as your back will not be supported by the backrest. Make sure that you choose a chair with a seat pad that is at the right depth for you.
– The height of the chair is important. Most office chairs at least have the ability for the user to alter the height. If your chair is too low, your knees will be elevated, and this will cause your pelvis to tilt. This causes the spine to be curved at an unusual angle, causing lower back pain. You should ensure that your knees are bent to around 90 degrees with your feet flat on the floor.
– The backrest is another important factor to consider when you are looking for the best office chair for comfort and for preventing back pain. Your back should be fully supported, and this means your neck too. A high back office chair is usually far more beneficial than a mid-back office chair.
Make your office chair the most comfortable place on Earth!
There are several ways in which you can make your office chair more comfortable without needing to purchase a new chair.
- Sit Properly – The first thing that you should do is check the way in which you’re sitting in your chair. Your back should be firmly against the backrest and you shouldn’t be slouching. If you find yourself slouching, you should address the reason why and make any adjustments that the chair allows you to make.
- Increase lumbar support – If you feel that your lower back is not being supported sufficiently, you should consider adding a cushion to the base of the backrest, or even better, you could purchase a lumbar support cushion. Ensuring that the curve in your lower spine is supported will reduce lower back pain.
- Add a footrest – If your chair is too high for your height even when it is at it’s lowest setting, you should use a footrest to raise the level of your legs. This will lower the pressure on the back of your legs and improve your blood circulation.
How To Make Your Workspace More Comfortable
You can make various alterations to your work area to ensure that it is as comfortable as possible.
Firstly, you should make sure that your workplace is accessible. You should clear any obstacles out of the way, such as bags or boxes. Don’t have anything on the floor near your work desk that may be in the way of your ability to move freely in your chair.
If you have an adjustable table, you should adjust it so that it is at the right height for you. You should be able to sit comfortably in your office chair so that your eyes are in line with your computer screen.
Ensure that you keep your work area tidy. You’ll feel better and your mind will be less cluttered because your work desk will be neat.
If you can raise your monitor from the desk, you should do this. You should aim to position your monitor at a suitable distance from your face so that you do not need to strain your eyes to see it and you should also have your screen in line with your eye level. A monitor riser could be used to facilitate this.
Comfy Office Chairs: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- What features make a chair comfortable?
Each individual will have their own needs when it comes to comfort, so there are not any specific things that every user should look out for in an office chair. Of course, ensuring that the chair has supportive yet soft cushions is a must, as this will keep you seated in the best position whilst you work. You should also look out for chairs that tilt back so that you can minimize the chance of developing back pains.
- What adjustments should I make to my office chair to make it comfortable?
You should try to choose an office chair that comes with user-adjustable features. A gas lift height adjustment or a basic height adjustment is usually included with most office chairs as a bare minimum. This will ensure that you can raise or lower the height of the chair to suit your height. You will be even more comfortable however if you have a chair that allows you to adjust the backrest position. An adjustable lumbar cushion will help to support your lower back. You can also get chairs with adjustable seats and armrests and some also allow you to tilt the chair back or recline completely.
- What materials are suitable for comfortable chairs?
If you work in an office that is often warm, you should consider a mesh or fabric chair. These chairs are lightweight and the material is breathable. Fabric chairs are a little harder to clean than most other materials, however. Mesh chairs often have no cushions to the backrest and instead, the back is made up of durable mesh style fabric. Although this is breathable, it is not necessarily comfortable as there are other chairs that have padded or cushioned backrests instead. The leather is durable and long-lasting and can offer good support when it is used to upholster the cushions on an office chair. Some people like the luxurious feel of leather material too. If leather chairs are a little out of your budget, you can choose faux leather instead. There are a few different kinds of faux leather, however, so you should try the chair out before you make your decision.
- Is an office chair the only way that I can make my office more comfortable?
As you can see from our buying guide above, there are several things that you can do within your office environment to make your workspace more comfortable in addition to choosing the best and most relaxing office chair for your needs. You could raise your monitor to suit your eye level and ensure that your desk is free from clutter for example. You should also try to make sure that the floor space of your office is kept tidy and free from clutter so that you can feel more relaxed whilst you are working. You will also have more freedom to move around if your office is neat and tidy.
- What material is best?
When you’re thinking of which office chair to purchase, you will notice that there are a lot of upholstery options. Which kind you get will depend on personal preference as well as your budget.Remember that real leather is expensive although it is hard wearing and will provide support. Faux leather can be a good alternative to save some money, but you should remember that it is not likely to last for as long as real leather.Other options include fabric and mesh. These options are breathable and are usually comfortable to sit on, but again, you will get what you pay for. More luxurious chairs that are upholstered in fabric have more padding and are made to last for as long as possible. For those on a budget, lower cost fabric chairs can be a good alternative option.
- Do I need a High back, mid back or low back office chair?
When you purchase an office chair, you’ll notice that you can choose from high, medium or low back options.
High back will support your entire back and your neck. These chairs are most suited to those with a larger budget and who sit at their desk for the majority of the day.Mid-back chairs provide support up to the middle of your spine and shoulder blades. You can still purchase these chairs if you sit at your desk all day but they are not quite as comfortable as high back chairs. You can be sure that they will be cheaper than high back chairs, though.People who don’t need to spend long lengths of time at their desk use low back chairs. The lower back is supported for comfort, but the user is otherwise free to move around as they wish. These are low-cost chairs, but they won’t be suitable if you need to sit in the chair for the majority of the day.
- Do I really need all these adjustable parts?
Not all office chairs come with adjustable parts. Some are fixed in one position and only offer height adjustments. The problem with these chairs is that although they may feel comfortable at first, they will not be made to fit your particular body shape. Over time, you may develop pains in your back, legs or shoulders.An adjustable office chair will allow you to change the dimensions of the chair so that you will fit perfectly in it. If you get a chair that can also tilt, you will be able to take the strain off your lower spine too. By supporting every part of your body, you will be able to sit more comfortably at your desk for long periods of time. As people can develop pains from activates other than sitting at their office desk, it is also useful to be able to make frequent adjustments to the chair if any pains to develop. You will be able to choose the position that is best for you so that you can be comfortable at all times.
Most Comfortable Office Chairs Comparison Chart
|HERMAN MILLER EMBODY CHAIR||$$$$$||Carbon Balance||Fabric||28 x 28 x 24.5 inches||52 pounds||300 lbs|
|Herman Miller Aeron Fully Loaded Chairs with HEADREST||$$$$||Graphite||Plastic||27 x 41 x 16.75 inches||55 pounds||up to 250 lbs|
|CXO Executive Mid Back Chair in Black w Headrest||$$$$$||Burgundy||Aluminum||29.5 x 29.5 x 55 inches||79 lbs||up to 250 lbs|
|Steelcase Leap Chair||$$$$||Black||Fabric||24.8 x 27 x 43.2 inches||45.8 pounds||300 lbs|
|STEELCASE GESTURE CHAIR||$$$$$||Blue Jay||Fabric||23.6 x 29 x 44.5 inches||76 pounds||48 pounds|
|AKRacing Racing Style Desk Office Gaming Chair||$$$||Blue/Black||Steel, Synthetic Leather||27 x 26 x 56 inches||48 pounds||up to 330 lbs|
|OFM Big Leather Executive Office Chair||$$||Black||Leather||35 x 28 x 17 inches||57 pounds||400 pound|
|Boss Office Products Big Man's Chair||$$||Black||Microfiber||25 x 31.2 x 46 inches||89.7 pounds||350 lbs|
|Brylanehome Extra Wide Woman's Office Chair||$$||Ice||Bonded leather with matching PVC back||46.5 x 29 x 29 inches||2.8 pounds||500 lbs|
|High Back Black Mesh Executive Swivel Office Chair||$||Black||Foam||24 x 25.5 x 52.5 inches||33.7 pounds||250 lbs|
|VIVA OFFICE High Back Bonded Leather Executive Chair||$||Black||Synthetic Leather||30.5 x 27.5 x 17.8 inches||56.9 pounds||250 pounds|
|FLASH FURNITURE HERCULES SERIES||$$||Black||Fabric||28.5 x 31.5 x 47.5 inches||65 pounds||500 lbs|
We hope that this buying guide has been a useful tool for you when looking for the most comfortable office chair for your work environment. Being comfortable at work not only helps you to relieve any pains from your body, but you will also find that your productivity levels may even go up because you will be more relaxed at work.
There are many great office chairs available so that all users are able to choose the best one for their needs. Whether you work at your desk frequently, or if you switch between desks, spending a lot of time on your feet, you will be able to choose the best ergonomic office chair that will be right for you.
You should remember to consider the features that we have mentioned in the buying guide and remember that making your office comfy does not stop at simply upgrading your office chair.